Preservation Parks of Delaware County
Job Title: Historical Farm Hand
Location: Gallant Farm, Delaware County, Ohio
Hours: 9am – 5pm Sat & Sun + 9a-5pm flex day (24 hrs/week)
Pay: $19.58 / Hour
Contact: Tony Benishek at email@example.com
This position is an excellent opportunity for someone interested in historical interpretation, environmental education, agricultural education, and small-scale agriculture. The Historical Farm Hand will assist the Farm Manager and Farm Educator in operation of the interpretive (education), domestic, and agricultural components of a Depression Era (1930 – 1940) living history farm.
We provide unique experiences for thousands of visitors every year that cultivate a respect for the cultural and agricultural history of Delaware County as well as a desire to conserve the land and its many resources for future generations.
- Greets visitors, records attendance, receives and responds to general park inquiries, and comments. Passes on information received to supervisor.
- Collaborate with farm team to educate visitors of all ages about the farm, its mission, and early 20th century farm life.
- Perform a variety of domestic chores (e.g., cleaning, washing dishes, trash disposal, using wood cookstove, chop, and haul firewood, display and collections maintenance, and care for flower beds).
- Assist with daily livestock care including food, water, pasture rotations, and egg collection.
- Aid in crop planting and harvesting including hay, cover crops, small grains, and corn using historical methods and machinery.
- Help plan, plant, maintain, and harvest garden produce.
- Operate a variety of antique and modern equipment, both manual and gas powered (i.e. tractors, skid steer, line trimmer, tiller, etc.).
- Assist with light maintenance, landscape care, minor repairs, and construction projects.
- Checks facility to ensure overall cleanliness and conformance to recognized operation standards; performs light cleaning.
- Opens and securely closes farm buildings and gates.
- Assist staff with program preparation and development of displays at the farm.
- Support maintenance of farm collections and record keeping as guided by the collections policies and procedures manual.
- Reports maintenance problems, safety hazards, and defective equipment to supervisor.
- Wear Depression Era period clothing while providing interpretation and performing work when farm is open to the public.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and skills in historical interpretation, agricultural history, agricultural practices and methods, care of livestock, and the use or operation of a variety of early 1900’s and modern-day tools and equipment.
- Ability to perform a wide variety of domestic and farm-related tasks.
- Demonstrates interpersonal skills.
- Proficient written and oral communication skills: demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with visitors of all ages.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and a familiarity with social media and other internet resources.
- Demonstrates decision making and problem-solving skills along with organizational and planning skills.
- Possess trust, integrity, high ethical standards, and the ability to prevent, reduce, and resolve conflict.
- Capability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with employees, public and volunteers.
- Be able to work with minimal or no supervision.
- Ability to recognize safety hazards and make quick decisions regarding animals, visitor safety, etc.
- Ability to operate Park District equipment including vehicles, media equipment, communications equipment, and computers.
- Ability to obtain and maintain certification in basic first aid and CPR.
- Ability to work weekends, some evenings, and holidays.
- Associate degree in agriculture, education, American history, natural resources, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Previous experience at a living history site, preferably a working farm, or on a modern farm preferred.
- Agricultural knowledge and hands-on experience preferred.
- Demonstrates interpersonal skills: Ability to effectively relate to people of all ages.
- Valid driver's license and evidence of satisfactory driving record for insurability.
- First aid and CPR certified or ability to become certified.
- Pro-rated vacation and sick time
- Participate in the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System