Schlebecker Award Guidelines
(Guidelines Revised 12-14-07)
Criteria for Award:
The recipient must be an ALHFAM member but cannot be a current Board member.
Proposed recipients of the Schlebecker Award have demonstrated long-term and outstanding service to ALHFAM. Such notable service may include one or more of the following:
- Leadership in the organization at the Regional, Board, or other significant level.
- Substantial in-kind or direct financial contribution to the organization.
- Scholarly achievements including writing articles for the Bulletin or other publications.
- Frequent presentations or teaching workshops at regional or national conferences.
- Serving as a mentor and role model for individuals within ALHFAM and the living history field while providing the leadership to promote and strengthen the organization.
- Other significant or outstanding service to the organization.
- Any ALHFAM member may nominate one candidate a year for the award.
- All nominations shall be submitted to the Chairman of the Awards Committee in written or electronic form at least three months prior to the annual conference. Consult the ALHFAM Bulletin or the ALHFAM website at alhfam.org for the Chair’s contact information.
- Nominations shall be in the form of a letter that outlines the contributions the candidate has made to ALHFAM and why they should be considered for this award. Nominators should specifically address the criteria listed above and provide supporting evidence. This may include “letters of support” from others besides the nominator.
Making the Award:
- The Awards Chair distributes the nominations to the Awards Committee.
- The Awards committee agrees by consensus in a timely manner on the most worthy candidate, and submits its selection to the President.
- The President presents the selection to the entire Board (Directors and Officers) for approval.
- The President notifies the successful candidate at least one month before the annual conference.
- Unsuccessful nominations will not be reconsidered unless re-nominated annually. There is no set number of times a candidate may be nominated.
- The ALHFAM President, or person(s) appointed by the President, will make the award at the annual conference.
- The recipient will be featured in an article in the Bulletin following the annual conference.