Home News Contact Us
Position Title: Director of Programs
Facility: George Ranch Historical Park
Employment Status: Salaried with benefits (paid time off and medical benefits available)
Supervisor: Executive Director, Fort Bend History Association
Minimum Job Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in Museum Studies, History or related field. Five to seven years managerial experience. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Proven personnel management, budgetary compliance, and interpretive/educational strategic planning experience. Computer software skills (Microsoft Office).
Overall Objective: Assist the Executive Director to plan, implement and achieve the portions of the Fort Bend History Association’s Strategic Plan relevant to historical programming and services at the George Ranch Historical Park.
Job Duties: Provide leadership and direction for a staff of up to 35 living history interpreters at the George Ranch Historical Park. Will work collaboratively with others throughout the Fort Bend History Association to achieve relevant strategic planning goals and implement educational programs, special events, policies and procedures to provide a positive guest experience and healthy work environment for staff.
a) Works in conjunction with Executive Director to:
1. Set annual goals and objectives for historical programs
2. Establish organizational guidelines and criteria to meet overall standards of excellence and authenticity relating to historical services and programs
3. Seek additional funding sources as needed for projects – in collaboration with Director of Development
b) Develops and implements written approved strategic plans for historical programs
c) Provides regular oversight and review of organizational compliance relating to established standards of performance in historical programs and services
d) Coordinates and manages operational phases of auxiliary special projects related to historical programs
e) Coordinates with Visitor Services, Site Rentals and Marketing senior staff to achieve daily operational goals
a) Supervises, manages and evaluates subordinate staff (including 7 lead interpreters and up to 25 hourly staff) to successfully accomplish goals and objectives
b) Ensures budgetary compliance for departmental operating budget
c) Development and maintenance of daily personnel and operational schedule
a) Develops, maintains and oversees implementation of an annual educational/interpretive strategic plan. Establishes goals, standards and programmatic content for education; including exhibits, programs and special events
b) Provides innovative and creative leadership for development and expansion of educational/interpretive programs to keep pace with market trends and educational standards
c) Develops, maintains and oversees accomplishment of annual staff training program and continued staff enrichment
4) Community Engagement:
a) Manages and supervises volunteer coordinator who oversees recruitment, training and utilization of volunteers, and coordinates with volunteer auxiliary organizations.
b) Engages with the community at public events and recruits members for the Association.
a) Collaborates with Marketing and Publicity staff to ensure that historical programs and services of the George Ranch Historical Park and Fort Bend History Association are successfully promoted on website, social media, brochures, Texian Gazette newsletter and other newsprint
b) Seeks to increase attendance and levels of usage of programs and services
c) Represents the George Ranch Historical Park and the Fort Bend History Association as needed with organizations and individuals requesting historical knowledge or expertise
a) Develops earned income opportunities through educational programs, special events and other sources
b) Supervises staff to implement such opportunities at the GRHP
8) Other: Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
1. Manage expenditure of funds within the approved budget.
2. Achieve relevant Strategic Plan objectives and other priorities as assigned by the Association’s Executive Director.
3. Prepare monthly report on attendance, programs and strategic plan goal achievement by 5th day of the following month.
4. Create and communicate written objectives and priorities with subordinate staff at least quarterly, and conduct annual performance appraisals.
• Must effectively promote/be a passionate advocate for the FBHA's mission and act in accordance with FBHA policies and procedures
• Must display emotional stability and mature judgment
• Must have ability to work effectively with diverse persons and groups
• Must be customer service oriented, be able to communicate effectively, and be organized
• Ability to work both independently and as a contributing member of a peer management team
• Superior written and verbal communication skills
• Must be able to analyze and problem solve in order to identify, research and solve a wide range of work related problems
• Routinely moves furniture, program items and other heavy equipment weighing up to 50 pounds
• Must be comfortable in an un-air-conditioned space and must be able to facilitate house tours for long periods of time
• Must be available to work a flexible schedule, nights and weekends as needed
Interested and qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by sending a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Completion of a background check is required for employment.
Sitemap | Terms