Old Sturbridge Village (OSV) is seeking a full-time interpreter to join our horticulture team, starting in spring 2021. As a living history site dedicated to 19th century rural New England, gardens and their produce provide an invaluable tool to engage and educate our guests. This position will manage the daily operation of the program, plants, and exhibits related to the Herb Garden.
Reporting to the Coordinator of Horticulture, this position will serve as the frontline manager & mentor of staff, volunteers, interns, and fellows regarding the horticulture programs.
Education and/or Experience:
· High school diploma or equivalent
· One to two years horticultural related experience
· One year experience working with the public in a museum, educational institution or public garden
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of audiences
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:include the following:
· Provide support to Coordinator for the day-to-day operation of the Herb Garden. Duties includes a wide variety of gardening tasks such as planting, managing pests, watering gardens, removing weeds, harvesting, and over-wintering tender plants.
· Overall maintenance and care of the Herb Garden to preserve our living collection of plants. This position will also manage and assist with garden planning, seed saving, and other horticultural tasks in the museums gardens throughout the year.
· Mentor staff, volunteers, and junior & college interns by providing content training, hand-skills development, and guidance on costume historical appropriateness. Individual will also provide input to staff reviews.
· Develop engaging interpretive/educational programs to suit a wide variety of visitors.
· Act as a main point of contact for questions or issues pertaining to the Herb Garden.
· Work closely with the Volunteer Coordinator to foster and maintain a strong crew of Herb Garden Volunteers.
· Make connections between the Herb Garden and the interpretative mission of the museum. Work closely with household staff to support this relationship, the use of plant material in household demonstrations, and interpretation of each space.
· Communicate garden needs to other gardens staff, volunteers, and interns.
Skills & Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Individuals in this position are subject to a Criminal Conviction Record check upon hire and every other year thereafter.
Interested candidates should send their cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Home News Blog Donate Contact Us
Sitemap | Terms