Position Title: Preservation Carpenter
Position: Year-round, 40 hours per week
Reports to: Curator of Collections
Primary Function: Repair and maintenance of modern and historic structures.
Genesee Country Village & Museum, in Mumford, NY, seeks a preservation carpenter to work with its collection of 67 historic buildings and related support structures. The preservation carpenter plays a critical hands-on role in the preservation and maintenance of GCV&M’s historic assets. Daily work can range from simple maintenance to complex repairs. This wide range of tasks might be performed individually or as part of a team. Located 25 miles from Rochester, NY, GCV&M is the third-largest living history site in the country and the largest in New York State. For more information on the Museum and its programming, see www.gcv.org.
· Restores, alters and repairs GCV&M’s collection of historic buildings (75%)
· Conducts maintenance and repairs on modern support buildings (15%)
· Performs conditions assessments and works with staff team to document building preservation (5%)
· Assists in fabrication and set up of Museum exhibits (5%)
· Tracks time and materials within project budget parameters
· Works collaboratively with and/or manages work contracts for a variety of contractors and consultants for timely project completions
· Work efficiently, courteously, and professionally with a wide range of staff and volunteers
· Communicate in a friendly and hospitable manner at all times
· Represent the Museum in a professional way including appearance
· Be sensitive to the cultural differences as represented by the Museum’s collections, educational mission, and audience.
· Significant experience working with old and historic properties
· Familiarity with historic architectural styles, traditional materials, tools, and techniques
· Knowledge of current historic preservation standards, materials, and techniques
· Ability to read blueprints and plans
· Must be able to perform manual tasks such as loading and unloading supplies
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
· Able to climb and work safely from ladders and scaffolding
· Valid New York State Driver’s License
· Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
· Ability to work inside and outside in warm and cold weather
· Must pass a background check
Please apply here, or send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 14, 2021 for consideration.
Home News Blog Donate Contact Us
Sitemap | Terms