Sharing Partnerships in Preservation and Presentation of New England History
ALHFAM Regional Conference
April 13-15, 2018 - Central Maine
You are invited to a conference just for you. Spend time with other staff and volunteers from historical societies, museums, farms, and the living history community. Learn hands-on historical skills and discuss current events affecting our museums. Tour amazing facilities, get to know your peers. See for yourself why members of this organization are known as the ALHFAMily.
>> Download the Save the Date flyer here
Friday April 13
Cohen Community Center, 22 Town Farm Rd, Hallowell, ME 04347
Registration: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Tours and Workshops: 1 p.m.- 5 p.m. Must sign up in advance as space is limited, details and sign-ups will be sent out after you register.
- Guided Tours: Freeport Historical Society’s Pettengill Farm, Granite Tour of Hallowell, ME
- Workshops: Outdoor Fire Building, Flint Knapping, Sewing a Warm Hood
Friday Dinner: 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Pizza Party and Beer Swap. Bring a few bottles of your favorite local brew to share, and try out some of New England’s newest offerings.
Saturday, April 14
Norlands Living History Center, 290 Norlands Rd, Livermore, ME 04253
Registration: 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Tea and snacks will be available at both 10 a.m. and 11 a.m.
Break-out Sessions: 9:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Session 1: 9:15 a.m. to 10 a.m. Farm Animals and History Museums, 19thCentury Medicines, Museums vs. Reenactors
- Session 2: 10:15 a.m. to 11 a.m. Interpretive Planning Process, Museums and Unions.
- Session 3, Round Tables: 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Round Tables: Suffrage History and Contemporary Issues, Museums and Independent Contractors.
Lunch: 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. Washburn-Norlands Living History Center
Tours, Interactive Performances, and Workshops: 1:30 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- All Afternoon Workshop: Making Ice Cream
- Afternoon Session 1: 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. Tour the Washburn family mansion, Quilt Piecing Workshop, Performance: The Washburn Family.
- Afternoon Session 2: 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Tour the Washburn Family mansion, Library Open, Performance: Country Schooling, Dance Practice Workshop.
Old-Fashioned New England Dinner: 5 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
19th Century Barn Dance and Silent Auction: 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Sunday, April 15
Vaughan Woods and Historic Homestead, 2 Litchfield Rd, Hallowell, ME 0434
Tours: 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Vaughan family in Maine, Vaughan Homestead Becomes a Museum, Vaughan Woods
Conference Wrap-Up and ALHFAM NE Business Meeting (location TBA): 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Lunch: 12:15 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. (location TBA)
End of Conference: 1:30 p.m.
Hotel accommodations at:
Homewood Suites by Hilton
377 Western Ave., Augusta, ME 04330
Request the discounted rate with this group code: ALH. Booking Link.
ALHFAM Member, Early Bird: $85
Non-member, Early Bird: $115 (includes year-long membership)
Early Bird pricing ends March 15, 2018.
ALHFAM Member: $95
Non-member: $125 (includes year-long membership)
Saturday Evening Only: $45
Registration price includes Friday Dinner Pizza Party; Saturday coffee breaks, lunch and dinner (cash bar), and Sunday lunch.
Sign-ups for workshops and tours will be emailed out closer to the event.
For more information, email Alena Shellenbean at email@example.com.