Home News Contact Us
PART-TIME HISTORIC FARM ASSISTANT
Wood County Park District
Bowling Green, Ohio
Status: Permanent Part-Time
Starting Salary: $11.00/hour; 28 hrs./week
Reports To: Historic Farm Coordinator
Classification: Intermediate – Employee has supervisory responsibilities relating to interns and volunteers. Employee has the authority to recommend any reward or disciplinary actions for employees under their direct supervision.
The position of part-time historic farm assistant directly involves but is not limited to the following illustrative duties:
1. Conducts daily farming operations, cleaning and maintenance of Carter Historic Farm (CHF), including but not limited to the outbuildings, crop farming, livestock care, grounds, fruit/vegetable gardens, and woodlot. Works with the operations & stewardship departments and outside contractors when appropriate.
2. Works with individuals and other organizations relative to daily farming operations and farming-related programming.
3. Supervises and trains interns and volunteers to assist with the activities listed above. Coordinates public volunteer programs and group service projects related to farming. Tracks staff and volunteer time spent on farming operations to assist historic farm specialist with strategic planning related to farming.
4. Assists the historic farm coordinator with public, requested and special event programming to include development, facilitation, set up and clean up. Conducts informal interpretation, programming and demonstrations with walk-in visitors to CHF.
5. Tracks spending related to farming operations and assists the historic farm coordinator with the annual budget proposal.
6. Must be willing to operate a variety of equipment, including but not limited to the following: power tools (drill, chop saw, grinder, etc.), and cultivator, as well as heavy equipment such as a tractor. Must undergo appropriate training before use of all such equipment.
7. Works a flexible schedule to cover farming operations and programming, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
8. Required to routinely lift up to 50 lbs. which may include feed, hay bales, and equipment, etc.
9. Maintains current certifications in CPR and First Aid.
10. Performs other duties as assigned by the historic farm coordinator, program manager or director that are deemed appropriate and necessary for the position.
A willingness to learn new skills related to historical farming Agricultural areas include crop farming, livestock, and fruit/vegetable gardening. Must be willing to perform tasks in a period appropriate manner, and to work with historic farming equipment. Must be able to climb stairs and ladders, reach objects overhead, and work outdoors. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Experience with some area of agriculture. Historical knowledge of northwest Ohio (especially Wood County), mid nineteenth century through the Depression-era, specifically as it relates to family farming. Experience in a living history environment.
To apply: Please visit https://www.wcparks.org/about/employment/ and fill out the available employment application.
Sitemap | Terms