Home News Contact Us
Position Summary: The role of a Historic Interpreter (Blacksmith) at Historic Westville is to educate and engage guests in the lifestyle and lifeways of South Georgia’s rich, rural cultural heritage during the 19th century. This position will preserve and practice the traditional skills of a 19th century Blacksmith and operations of the Blacksmith Shop.
This position will work to demonstrate period accurate practices of a 19th century Blacksmith, its products and services with the community, region, and the world. The Historic Interpreter (Blacksmith) will provide information and demonstration about the technology, process, skills, training, and business practices of a 19th century Blacksmith at the Blacksmith Shop.
Primary Duties: Primary duties for this position include, but are not limited to:
• Provide visitors with living history interpretation at assigned locations within Historic Westville in period- and site-appropriate costume. Interpretation focuses on the culture, lifeways, and importance of community as relevant to the time period and environment of the assigned work site.
• Conduct workshops and other educational programing for students of all ages (including adults).
• Perform skill demonstrations associated with the historical site to which assigned.
• Maintain cleanliness and preservation of the assigned historic location.
• Maintain safety and security protocols for worksite, tools, and guests within the historic site.
• Assist in demonstrating and providing programming during special events.
• Assist in the training of new interpreters and volunteers.
• Interpretive Certification through NAI and/or Eppley Institute preferred, but not required.
• Strong customer service focus and the ability/desire to ensure an excellent experience for all visitors and constituents.
• Very strong interpersonal skills are a necessity.
• Demonstrated ability to work well with people of diverse ages (3 years to 100 years) and various educational and personal backgrounds.
• Friendly, open and professional demeanor with demonstrated ability to initiate conversations with guests and anticipate their needs.
• Ability to engage guests daily in order to provide excellent customer service that fosters a desire for future visits.
• Ability to present and maintain a warm and enthusiastic demeanor with guests and co-workers.
• Ability to work well with the public in one-on-one and large group situations, and to respond to questions from various constituencies.
• Willingness to cross-train in multiple historic sites and learn new disciplines and skills.
• Ability to adapt to a changing work environment, including work outdoors in varying weather conditions, and contact with pollen, dust and mold.
• Ability to work weekends.
• Ability to wear a costume that is period- and site-appropriate daily.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those required for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
• Sit, talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to handle, feel, and/or manipulate objects or items;
• Walk, stand, climb, balance, lift, bend over, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and participate in strenuous physical activities;
• Carry and lift at least 50 lbs.
• See in varying light conditions, and use color vision and depth perception;
• Read and assimilate information, and write to communicate information clearly;
• Ability to work in outdoor conditions throughout the year.
Desired Start Date: 08/26/2018
Salary Type: Part Time
Direct Supervisor: Director of Interpretation
Hours per week: 34.50
Job Type: Hourly
Suggested Salary: $10-12/hour
Please send resume with cover letter and references to email@example.com
Sitemap | Terms