Home News Contact Us
Exhibitions and Collections Manager
The Schenectady County Historical Society seeks a forward-thinking Exhibitions & Collections Manager to create exhibitions that engage the broad Schenectady community and to manage SCHS collections at the Schenectady History Museum and the Mabee Farm Historic Site. This is a full-time position with benefits.
The Exhibitions & Collections Manager is responsible for developing innovative history and art exhibitions that feature dynamic storytelling, clean design, and creative use of artifacts. The Exhibitions & Collections Manager also oversees cataloguing, inventorying, and storage of SCHS’ 10,000+ artifacts. This position takes the lead on the annual SCHS Arts & Crafts Festival and the Festival of Trees, is responsible for wedding and event site rentals, and assists where needed across SCHS sites and projects, including representing SCHS at community and outreach events. This position reports to the Executive Director, and works closely with SCHS staff and committees. The incumbent will split his/her time between SCHS sites as needed and directed; flexibility is essential.
· Builds relationships with cultural leaders, artists, academics, and individuals in Schenectady that lead to community ownership of SCHS exhibitions and collections
· Researches, writes, designs, and installs exhibitions that engage the diverse Schenectady community
· Oversees SCHS object collections including (de)accessions, cataloguing and inventorying, research, storage, and loans
· Defines and delivers a strategy to build and diversify the SCHS collection
· Assists in the development of SCHS-wide interpretive planning
· Supervises collections volunteers and interns
· Manages the SCHS Arts & Crafts Festival and the Festival of Trees
· Manages all weddings rentals, including tours, logistics, and contracts
· Represents the SCHS publicly at events and outreach programs
· Assists where needed, including but not limited to administrative and operational tasks, farm animal feedings, special events, and in the Grems-Doolittle Library and gift shop
· Master’s degree in museum studies or a related field plus one year relevant professional experience OR Bachelor’s degree in history, art history, museum studies, or related field plus three years relevant professional experience
· Knowledge of exhibition and collections management best practices
· Understanding of and love for public history
· Proficiency and skill in Adobe Photoshop and/or Adobe InDesign
· Proficiency with Google Drive/Docs and social media tools
· Excellent attention to detail
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Ability to multitask and maintain multiple projects at once
· Ability to work weekends and evenings (includes at least one Saturday each month)
· Ability to work back and forth between sites
· Professional experience designing and installing exhibitions
· Proficiency with PastPerfect software and basic web design
About the Schenectady County Historical Society
The Schenectady County Historical Society is a private, not-for-profit organization founded in 1905 with a mission to share stories, inspire dialogue, and encourage understanding of the history, people, and cultures of Schenectady County. SCHS brings to life the region’s dynamic history through interactive exhibits, talks, workshops, concerts, education programs and community events for all audiences at the Mabee Farm Historic Site (the oldest farmstead in the Mohawk Valley), the Grems-Doolittle Library, and the Schenectady History Museum.
Please send a resume, cover letter, short writing sample, and sample of your design work to Mary Zawacki at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sitemap | Terms