Old Sturbridge Village (OSV) is seeking a Farm Manager for Coggeshall Farm Museum in Bristol, RI (CFM) to create, develop, and manage the museum’s Agriculture and Horticulture program. This position will be a member of an exciting new partnership between OSV and CFM. Key responsibilities include day-to-day management and oversight of the museum’s animal program, fields, pasture, and gardens.
The Farm Manager reports to the Site Manager of CFM and works closely with the Agriculture Coordinator at OSV
Education & Experience
· Bachelor’s degree (B.A) in Museum Studies /Education or equivalent from four-year College.
· 3 to 5 years’ experience in animal husbandry practices.
· 3 to 5 years interpreting/education experience.
· One year or more experience managing, training and mentoring staff.
· Proven ability to manage and deliver farm based programs including but not limited to, day-to-day management of staff, volunteers and interns; daily and seasonal activities, care and upkeep of all farm spaces, buying and organizing supplies.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of audiences; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Lead the Coggeshall Agriculture and Horticulture program, including day-to-day management of paid staff, volunteers and interns; oversight of the farm based programs throughout the museum.
· Manage all animal husbandry functions of the museum: feed schedule, wellness checks, vet visits, breeding, buying and selling of appropriate animals.
· Oversee site management and upkeep, including field management, mowing, and fence work.
· Working with the Site Director & Education Coordinator to show a complete story of late 18th century coastal farming life.
· In coordination with the Site Director & Education Coordinator, manage all staff/volunteer operations and learning targets for the museums visitor experience.
· In collaboration with experts at OSV and the Site Director, develop and execute a plan for the Agriculture and Horticulture interpretive story at CFM.
· Work directly with the Site Director and Education Coordinator to plan, develop, and implement immersive educational programs for the local school audience.
· Bring the CFM Farm program to life through interpretation, teaching, facilitation, and/or performance programs.
· Serve as an active ambassador and advocate for CFM Agriculture program both within the museum and externally.
· Day-to-day responsibilities including recruiting, training, managing and evaluating staff and volunteers; planning, assigning, directing and observing work; and conducting performance appraisals.
· Develop innovative farm-based programming to draw new visitors to the museum.
· Plan, organize, lead, and/or participate in all special events and work with OSV’s Marketing department to promote programs.
· Successfully balance face-to-face communication with use of technology in order to ensure clarity of communication with colleagues.
· Understand, identify and appropriately respond to the multiple learning styles of a diverse audience that includes students, families and other life-long learners; actively engage these audiences using a range of interpretation techniques including hands-on, participation, tours, immersion, demonstration, recreation, orientation, role-play, performance, lecture and others.
· Preserve the historic buildings, gardens, landscapes, artifacts and reproductions in CFM by caring for them properly.
· Ensure the safety, security and cleanliness of work areas; Safeguard visitors and staff by being alert to foreseeable health and safety hazards.
· Understand and observe all OSV policies and federal, state and local laws
· Work evening programs such as but not limited to Halloween and Christmas programs.
· Perform other duties as assigned by the Site Director.
Skills & Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Individuals in this position are subject to a Criminal Conviction Record check upon hire and every other year thereafter.
· Proven knowledge and passion for the subject and activities of historic farm based education.
· Ability to establish own work plan and priorities, using established procedures to assure timely completion of assigned work in conformance with departmental policies and practices; problems lacking clear precedent are reviewed with supervisor prior to taking action.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be outside for long periods of time and stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Proven ability to recruit, train, manage and motivate a diverse workforce.
· Be honest, reliable, and demonstrate a passionate commitment to the interpretation/education field.
· Attention to detail, organization, quality of guest experience and customer service.
· Able to communicate ideas and information clearly both verbally and in written format.
· Strive to build and maintain productive and respectful relationships with all team members and guests.
· Must be a team player and flexible to assist in other divisions when the need arises.
· Effective problem solver – anticipating, preventing and managing issues as they arise.
· Must be an effective listener and be able to understand and clarify concerns and issues.
· Must be able to work varied shifts and hours including weekends, nights, early mornings and holidays
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $40,000.00 per year
Interested candidates should send their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Home News Blog Donate Contact Us
Sitemap | Terms