Home News Contact Us
The Ruth Mott Foundation is accepting applications for a full time Collections Technician within the Collections & Education Department located at Applewood Estate in Flint, Michigan. Once home to Charles Stewart Mott and his family, Applewood Estate dates back to 1916. The estate is now owned and operated by the Ruth Mott Foundation and consists of award-winning gardens, historic buildings, and collections of art, artifacts, archives, and photographs.
Job Posting: Collections Technician (Full Time)
Job Purpose: The Collections Technician is responsible for the proper handling, storing, displaying, and cleaning of collections according to established procedures and preservation-based best practices. Additional responsibilities include monitoring and mitigating risks to collections including, but not limited to, temperature, humidity, light, pest infestation, and security. Responsible for assisting with the collections management database (PastPerfect), registration duties, digitizing collections to be made available online, and staying up to date on best practices, updating manuals and procedures accordingly.
This person works with staff and interns on inventories and accessioning projects and storage upgrades. Provides occasional assistance with preparation and clean-up for meetings and events involving set-up, coordination with staff, volunteers, and caterers. Position also includes providing public tours during open season, and completes other duties as assigned.
· Minimum of two years college-level courses, including coursework in history, art history, museum studies, anthropology, library science or related field.
· Work requires previous experience (paid or unpaid) with archives or museum collections.
· Analytical, organizational, computer and writing skills.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to work collaboratively with individuals from all sectors of the community and a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
· Ability to be discreet about the Mott family collection.
· Advanced certificate or degree in history, art history, museum studies, anthropology, library science, historic preservation, or related field.
· Experience with PastPerfect collections management software.
· Microsoft Office Suite proficient.
· Knowledge of archival and museum quality storage materials and standards. Ability to create custom storage solutions when necessary.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Typical Physical Demands:
Must be able to travel up and down stairs and ladders; bend, stoop, and lift to move materials; to pull/push, lift and carry up to 50 pounds; and to reach both above and below shoulder height, and to work while wearing protective gear in non-climate controlled environments. Ability to tolerate cleaning chemicals specified in the collections preservation procedures manual. The nature of the work requires the ability to work in both indoor and outdoor environments.
Ruth Mott Foundation recruits team members that are as economically, culturally and ethnically diverse as the community we serve. We are committed to diversity and inclusion in all its forms, including but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, protected genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to Resumes@ruthmott.org
Sitemap | Terms